Tuesday 11 December 2012

Camping at Chobe National Park


The boat trip again was a tin boat during lightning but it was worth it to see hippos out of water.   We came pretty close to one family on the shoreline which they took offence to as they entered the water with rapid pace to clear us as a threat.   Fortunately, the tin boat went for zero to warp speed in a matter of seconds to remove he danger.  Hippos at huge when you see them out of water.



This was my one and only camping night for the entire tour and in case you weren't aware I really don't like camping.   Some very kind friends of mine  spent many years convincing me camping isn't that bad and I should try it again and they had all the gear for me including a slow leaking air mattress timed to perfection to me sleeping on the ground by 2am.    I now only camp if no other choice and the reason for camping was to see the best of the animals.

We arrived at the camp site and it was all set up for us, it just had decided to bucket down as we arrived and of course it was dark when we arrived.   The toilets were a drop toilet with a proper toilet seat with a canvas surround.  The lack of roof on the toilet provided a natural flushing system in this weather.  Due to strong winds, the lanterns would not stay alight so I relied on my $5 bunnings torch to navigate.   Mental note self, stop being an accountant as you pay peanuts you get monkeys as the torch only had a metre range on it.  The one advantage to the lack of light is no African dive bombing gin and tonic bugs which have tried to spoil more than one of my drinks on this trip.

The instructions when camping in a national park with lots of dangerous animals are to keep tents shut at all times, look and listen before exiting tents. If you have to exit in the dark, shine the torch out and see if there are any animal eyes.   If you see eyes and the eyes move with the light flashed in their eyes, they will be from the cat family so hold on longer for the toilet.   If the eyes don't move they herbivores.   I was also told to listen for animal sounds during the night.  I awoke to hear what I though was lions to later figure out it was someone snoring and once I heard it there was no going back to sleep.

We didn't see a lot of animals at Chobe due to the rain as natural water holes are created so they don't need to come to the tourist water holes for drinking.


Wish I was on the other side of the boat when this photo was taken.





No comments:

Post a Comment